Prologue
I have read the book titled The Last Lecture. In response to this book I am writing my own last lecture. The circumstances however are much different. I am not dying or planning to anytime soon, I am not leaving behind 3 young children and a loving wife, nor am I going to have millions of people hear my story. Reading this book has made me really think about things in my life, where my life is going and the people who are in my life and how much I love all of them. My outlook on life has broadened and I have been able to appreciate the people in my life even more and I am so glad that I was able to read this book. Everyone mentioned in this lecture mean a great deal to me or they would not have been mentioned. I have written this with the best of intentions and I don't think I will offend anyone, but if I somehow manage to do that I am sorry.
Chapter 1
Where It All Starts
There isn’t a test, application process or approval form to become a parent. No child gets to chose if their dad is a doctor or a pizza delivery man or if their mom is a NASA astronaut or a senior in high school. Personally I was extremely lucky in this category; I was born into a family that is full of support, love and compassion. My dad is an amazing person who has had to work for everything he has, he began working with the City of Moses Lake at the age of 15 and now he is the Parks Superintendent. My mom is an extremely strong woman who can stand on her own two feet but knows how to lean on my dad to make a stronger foundation impenetrable. Along with my mom I had the opportunity to meet the most wonderful man ever; my Grandpa Gordon knew the meaning of living the good life. He was able to retire at a young age therefore he was able to live life before the cancer took him away from us; I miss him everyday but I know I was so fortunate to have known such an amazing man. Then there is my grandma Joyce. I love her so much; she has taught me how to be a polite young lady and to always be considerate of others. I also am so blessed to have my Grandma Carol, she has gone through so much in her life and she has conquered it all. On my dad’s side, my Grandma Gonzales is someone whose wisdom will be treasured for years to come. For almost anything and everything she has the answer, “don’t sweat the small stuff, there is always someone out there going through a lot more then you are right now”. My family has taught me how to love unconditionally and that no matter what happens family is always your family whether you like it or not.
Chapter 2
When You Wish Upon a Star
I don’t think I have really had a childhood dream that I have worked towards because my dream is something I don’t have a lot of control over. As odd as it may seem I have always wanted the true love, happily ever after, prince charming love story. Personally I love romance, the grand slam over the fence, sweep you off your feet, wish on a star, butterflies in your stomach, can’t live without them kind of love. I’m not the typical girlie girl, the one that wants a Cinderella wedding or a million dollar ring with an overdressed wedding party, but I do want that once in a lifetime love. So I guess my childhood dream isn’t quite a dream but a desire, a desire to love someone else that doesn’t have to love me back but chooses to do so anyways.
Chapter 3
“Stand Up Next to Her and Defend Her to the End”
Anyone who knows me knows what my first true love is; the one thing in my life that hasn’t come crashing down, left me by myself, or stopped loving me in return. Softball has been in my life pretty much since I was born; my dad played baseball in high school and continued to play men’s softball into his later years. I have countless pictures of me at the ball park at my cousin’s games while my dad coached. So when I was “of age” I began my love affair with the game. My dad has coached me since day one, “Shelby turn your hips when you swing, hustle when you are called, work hard everyday, and I promise all of this hard work will pay off”. In many ways my dad was my Coach Graham. He would push me to work harder and exceed expectations. So I did, but being the coach’s daughter you have to work harder, run faster and always give more then what other players do because people will say “Well Shelby is just starting because she is the coach’s daughter, she doesn’t deserve to start.” Therefore my dad pushed me and would correct things in my batting stance, my throwing, my running and my catching. I remember one day at practice he was critiquing everything that day, or so it felt that way. So in turn, me being the stubborn daughter said, “Can I just not do anything good enough for you?” My dad took me aside and told me something along the lines of “Shelby, if I stop telling you what you are doing wrong, then you should be concerned, because then and only then I would feel that you cannot achieve anything more in the game of softball.” Then I understood that all of this constant practice will just make me a better player and person.
Which then brings about the brick walls that I have had to overcome; I was never the extremely confident softball player I am today. I think it was during my U-12 season when I overheard some parents talking amongst one another, they were discussing how I was only starting and in the batting line up because I was the coach’s daughter, that I didn’t deserve to be playing because I wasn’t bringing much to the team. Soon enough I began to believe this. Hearing that made me start to think that I was only starting and playing because my dad was the coach, that I didn't deserve to start and I was just getting special treatment. During that season my self confidence just continued in a downward spiral and I wasn’t the same player I previously was. My dad noticed and we had a pretty serious discussion about the matter. My confidence surely didn’t come back over night in any means but he told me that I did deserve to play and I was contributing lots of things to the team, of course I wasn’t the strongest player or the all-star but I was a player that did deserve my position. To this day I sincerely thank those parents who didn’t believe in me because their doubt pushed me to become a better player and person. So here is to you parents, I received a softball scholarship from North Idaho College in Coeur d’Alene, Idaho, I am the ASB President and the Honor Society Secretary and my life is so blessed with friends who believe in me and I wouldn’t trade them for anything. So thank you for all you have done. As well as to all those people who think I’m a person who you don't approve of or you judge me for whatever reason, get to know me, I promise you I am a kind person and I love to meet new people and make friends because my brick walls have just made me stronger and have shown me you learn from everything in life
Chapter 4
Who Do You Think You Are?
It’s the easiest thing to describe me. I love my sweats, my bat and catchers mitt, my ipod, a good book, a sweet romantic comedy, my sweaters, and kick back slippers. I love just chilling at home with my family and friends. Playing guitar hero with Derrick, watching sports on the TV with my daddy, watching Saturday Night Live with my mama, and making obese candy cane cookies with Whitney and Lia are some of my favorite things. I don’t have to be ASB President and tackling 6 jobs at once, doing the homework for AP Government and Politics that I put off till the night before it’s due, or worrying about what scholarships I need to finish. I love just taking time to relax during my unguarded moments. I don't have to put on my make-up or do my hair all cute because my family and friends know me for me and i dont have to be any more than that
Chapter 5
What Have Your Parents Taught You?
My parents have always taught me to have my priorities in order. When I was younger it was always finish your homework before you go to practice or watch TV. Now that I’m a senior in high school my priorities now are of course my family, friends, and being a successful student-athlete. Every single person in my family really means the world to me. My dad is the best dad anyone could ask for, I am a daddy’s girl through and through, he has taught me so much about life, the game of softball, and how to be the best person you can possibly be. Thank you for everything daddy! My mom is pretty much indescribable, she has taught me to be strong and to stand on my own two feet, but that it’s ok to ask for help and I know that if I ever needed anything I can always come to her, I love you more then anything. Then there is the little brother, Derrick, I am so proud of you its hard to put into words, you are such a talented young man whether its soccer, school, or ASB and I want you to know that I am so proud to be able to call you my little brother, I can’t wait to see the kind of leader and soccer player you end up to be, I’m sure that no matter what you will exceed my expectations greatly and I’m going to miss you so much next year! Then there are my friends. Whitney Wood, I love you like a sister; we fight, share clothes, and laugh like sisters and I really don't know what I would do without you sometimes. Miss Lia, all I can say is “Wow girlie!” we did it, we are now seniors and I have learned so much from you as a person and how to be an wonderful friend. Oh Danae darling… I seriously can’t take you anywhere! Just kidding, but really I am so glad that we got to be such good friends this year, I’m sad that it took us so long, I am going to miss you next year! ANDREW!! You are my buddy for life! We don’t have to talk everyday, but when we do talk its like we have never missed a beat and I can’t wait to walk next to you at graduation! Mrs. Banda, as a teacher and a friend you have taught me what it really means to be a leader; thank you for all you have done for me, what you will do for Derrick, the students at Moses Lake High School and all that I know you will do for them in the future. Mrs. Rachele Bakes, you pretty much are like my second mom and I am going to miss you like crazy next year! I hope Tyler does well in college and please always know that I love you so much and I can’t wait to come back and visit you when I come back from college. Abbey sweetie you are my favorite Walla Wallian, I love you and I hope you never get put into witness protection. Rachel Anton… just promise that you won’t be saying “Consuela” around any unsuspecting people, we all know what that will do. Chris Jackson, I am still bitter towards you but I am not sorry about that. However, you were a huge influence on my life so I want you to know that you were a wonderful best friend and I wish you the best of luck with life and whatever you choose, take care stinker. For all of my other friends that I didn’t mention because there is not enough paper in the world to describe how much I love all of you, thank you so much for being who you are and I will never forget any of you! Where being a student-athlete comes in I am still in the process. I have made it to college; I am going to be living my dream, playing college softball with an amazing group of girls in Idaho! My grades are great; therefore I am allowed to hang out with all of the wonderful people above
Chapter 6
A Whole New World
A Dream is what makes each and every person unique, special, and superb. As hard as it is, getting caught up in your own life and what’s going on with it is so difficult to avoid. If you are one of those people that can set yourself aside and put others before you do it. Personally I don't know if I have made anyone else’s dreams come true, I hope I have, or if I have instigated a dream then that would be just as satisfying. As much as it is to put your dreams before others sometimes it is even more important to watch others around you because you never know what they may be telling you without saying a word
Chapter 7
Bringing What You Can to the Table
During my sophomore year in high school I guess you could say that I found my calling. Lia and I decided to run for an office on the Moses Lake High School ASB. That was probably one of the best decisions in my life; I have met some amazing people in the process. When I got involved with ASB I discovered that I can be a wonderful leader and I can use that skill to better Moses Lake High School and those around me. The best thing about being in ASB is probably the fact that I love encouraging others to step up as well and not to be afraid of who you are, step up and make a difference in the world around you. I don't’ quite understand why, but I tend to automatically take the leadership role, maybe it’s because I’m pretty strong willed or what but I know I love making a difference and leaving my mark on the world
Chapter 8
My Bucket List
I intend to watch the movie The Bucket List, but I haven’t yet. Although I haven’t seen the movie I have put together a bucket list or some things I want to see or do before I die. It is as follows:
o Get Married to someone who really loves me
o Go skydiving
o Own a Husky dog or two
o Make my friends and family proud of me
o Set a softball record
o Go to a professional football game
o Visit my Grandpa Gonzales
o Have something named after me
o Saran-wrap a car
o Have someone tell me I have changed their life for the better
o Touch a flamingo
o See Derrick’s dreams come true
o Go skiing or snowboarding
o See Jamaica
I know that some of these you really can’t do in six months but these are things that I want to do before I go. In my last days I have no doubt that I would spend them with as many friends and family members as possible and I would tell them all that I love them more then they even know. All of these things are valuable to me because some of them that only I can do for myself such as skydiving. I’m sure I am missing some things on my bucket list but those have just not come to mind yet
Chapter 9
Secrets Don’t Make Friends
If I could reveal a secret at the end of my life I probably would. As it is now, I know what I would reveal. But in all honestly I don't think that it would be a very wise idea to do so. The reason being that the only person it would hurt would be me because I would have to tap into some emotions that I have conquered in the past six months and I don't feel like bringing them up again. I don’t have anything else to hide, however you can probably guess what it is that I don’t want to talk about. I’m sure when the time comes that I have the opportunity to reveal a secret I probably wouldn’t be what I am concerned about now
Chapter 10
Winnie the Pooh
My philosophy on life consists of a few components. Firstly I love quotes therefore I have a few of them that I love to remind myself of; “They say beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but what they have failed to tell you is that beauty is best seen with eyes closed.”, “Do not be content with average. Average is as close to the bottom as it is to the top.”, “Dance as though no one is watching. Sing as though no one can hear you. Love as though you have never been hurt before. Live as though heaven is on earth.” Although I don't really have one set philosophy I do try my best to live by these quotes so that I don't dwell on the small stuff. Also I apply the second one to sports and my school work. That quote makes me want to work harder and be the best that I can be
Therefore I think of myself both a Tigger and an Eeyore. I have my moments of both. I honestly think everyone has their moments of high intensity moments full of fun and laughter and then at other times we are sad and tend to dwell on the negative things in life instead of focusing on the positive things
Chapter 11
Message in A Bottle
I’m not quite sure how people will remember me, but I know I want them to remember me as someone who was striving to make a difference almost everywhere I went. I really did my best to stay positive and make others feel included in all activities. In this class I have learned so many things from everyone. Such as how I can be perceived as a person and as a leader. I think that I have improved on my weaknesses and I hope others have noticed as well. So the message I want people to remember from me would be this, “Shelby Gonzales did her best to leave her positive mark on Moses Lake High School and on those around her.” In this class I have learned how to overcome issues between friends, clubs and people in general. Also how to deal with those conflicts so that you get the best results possible
Epilogue
Considerations
Please remember that I am currently a senior at Moses Lake High School, I am 17 years old, I don’t like math, I think coffee smells funny and I am not perfect. I have met some amazing people in my 17 years and I am sure I am going to meet so many more. I am now finishing part 1 of my life. I have endured kindergarten all the way through high school and I am very proud of who I have turned out to be. If I have let you down in anyway I’m sorry, I really don’t like to disappoint people so don’t hold that against me. I have learned a lot in 17 years but I am no where near to knowing everything, even though sometimes I might claim to. I would like to take this time to tell the 2008-2009 ASB Board how much fun this year has been. All of the trips, assembly planning, and ASB meetings we have had are memories that I will never forget. Courtney, you have been such an inspiration to me, you have shown me that you can lead without giving your input constantly. Lia you are pretty much my best friend and I could not have gotten through ASB these past three years without you. James you always bring something funny and light hearted to the table, as well as some pretty amazing ideas (commotion lotion). Jordan, Jordan, Jordan... you are my favorite junior wrestler ever! I am going to miss you so much next year and I know you will miss me because I won’t be able to bring you candy and cough drops! Shantel I am so glad that I have gotten to know you this year, you are such a spunky young woman and you always make me smile. Of course there is Derrick who I obviously know the best, just so you know bud I love watching gossip girl and One Tree Hill with you, I’m going to miss that next year. Mrs. Banda, like I said you are an amazing teacher and friend and I will use everything you have taught me for all my years to come. Always remember guys, “There ain’t no mountain high enough, ain’t no valley low enough, ain’t no river wide enough, that will keep me from getting to you babe!!” I love all of you guys and I will miss you tremendously next year. This concludes my last lecture and I hope that you have enjoyed what I have had to say. Take care and God Bless!....
About the Author
Hello! I would be Shelby and I love to play sports volleyball and softball mostly, well I’m half Hispanic but I don’t look like it. I'm the kind of girl that you can tell how I’m feeling by what song I’m listening to over and over again. I love the simple things in life, a baby's laughter, the smell of the rain, laughing so hard you begin to cry, taking chances (usually), I hate sleeping with socks on, I love the smell of cinnamon, my favorite candy would have to be cinnamon bears or 100 Grand, the look of the night sky takes my breath away, saltines and frosting are amazing together, I don’t like politics but I love talking about them and causing debates, I have loved with all my heart and lost, I think some people look like animals, I’m obsessed with One Tree Hill, I roll my eyes at some video games, I completely adore little kids, I’m a good kid, and all I want to do is make the ones I love proud of me. When I get older I hope to major in either Pediatric Occupational Therapy of Child Psychology. I will be attending North Idaho College next fall and I will be playing softball with a group of absolutely wonderful girls. I have an amazing family, my dad Roland, my mom Korrine, and my brother Derrick. I have the most amazing friends and I don't know what I would do with out them.
This lecture is dedicated to
My mom who has shown my life can be lived to the fullest everyday....
My dad who guided me to my first love, softball....
My brother who can bug the heck out of me but I still love him anyway....
My Grandma Joyce who I have loved my whole life and loved my Grandpa just as much....
My Grandpa Gordon, even though you may be gone I know you have been with me every step of the way....
My Grandma Gonzales who has taught me the wisdom of the ages....
My Grandma Carol who has cared for me since the day I was born....
And to all of my friends, no matter what you have all stood beside me through thick and thin, thank you for everything!....
I love all of you and I hope you all know that!....
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Shelby, you are a great writer and an amazing person!
I hope you enjoy the rest of your senior year.
Don't forget about us when you become famous!
Post a Comment